Let’s face it, a homemade World Book Day costume wouldn’t be complete without some superglue, some very strong tape and some sturdy cardboard.
They'll be in awe of this costume as instead of dressing up as one character, they can come as three
And it’s for that exact reason that we’ve created a magical Narnia-inspired The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe costume which contains all of the above for this year's 20th World Book Day.
The special day, which celebrates authors, illustrators, books and reading, will see thousands of schools encouraging your little ones to dress up as their favourite book character.
So if your kids are fans of C. S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia, and have been inspired by our World Book Day TV advert, then here's how to make an incredible costume that will definitely win you 'costume of the class'.
To make this rather creative masterpiece, make sure you follow our handy step-by-step guide. Your little ones will be the envy of all their school friends!
To make the Wardrobe
- Firstly, take large a rectangular cardboard box and cut off all the opening flaps.
- Hold the box up vertically against you, with the open side of the box towards your body. Cut off the panel that is facing the floor.
- If you wanted to, you could cut this edge to look like the bottom of the wardrobe.
- Now cut a hole in the top to fit the head and two smaller holes in the sides for the arms along with another hole on one of the sides for the tail. Try it on to make sure the holes are the right size and in the right place.
- Use a thick black marker to draw your wardrobe details on the front.
- Finally, superglue on your handles with any spare small door knobs or bottle tops you can find.
To make the lion’s mane, ears and tail
- For the ears, cut two wooden spoons off 5cm down the handle. (This is definitely a job for adults)
- Now glue both upright to a thick plastic hairband and secure with strong tape.
- For the mane, take a rectangular bath matt and fold in half and cut out a circle hole in the centre of one side for the face.
- Along the fold, cut two slits for the ears. Put the lion’s ears on your head and lay the bath matt over with the ears going through the long slits.
- Stuff a pair of tights with some tissue paper or old newspaper and then attach to the back of the cardboard box.
To make the Witch
- Finish off your costume with a witch’s hat placed on over one ear and a broom in hand!
Have you made an amazing World Book Day costume? Take a picture and tweet us @Asda, or Instagram your pics including #asda.