The future of The Great British Bake Off, as we know it at least, with Mary Berry, Paul Hollywood, Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc at the helm, has been in flux since Love Productions decided to move the show from BBC One last week.
"I am just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change. Farewell to soggy bottoms."
After a dispute over fees, the production company revealed it would be uprooting the baking show from its home of seven years, and jumping over to Channel 4.
Cue the speedy resignation of Mel and Sue, who confirmed in a joint statement that they would not be ‘going with the dough’, and a nationwide panic over what judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood would decide to do.
It’s been a long wait folks, but now we finally have an answer from both.
While Mary’s husband hinted last week that the famous cook would be unlikely to sign a deal with Channel 4, it was anybody’s guess as to whether the she would be going with the Bake Off or not.
In a statement today, however, Mary has made her feelings very clear.
‘What a privilege and honour it has been to be part of seven years of magic in a tent - The Great British Bake Off. The Bake Off family - Paul, Mel and Sue have given me so much joy and laughter,’ she says.
‘My decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to them, as they have nurtured me, and the show, that was a unique and brilliant format from day one. I am just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change, I hope they understand my decision.’
‘I wish the programme, crew and future bakers every possible success and I am so very sad not to be a part of it.’
‘Farewell to soggy bottoms.’
Naturally, fans have reacted to the news with mixed emotions. While most respect Mary’s decision to stay with the BBC, others are now questioning whether the Bake Off will ever be the same without the much adored judge.
Mary Berry quits Bake-Off ... clang went the wheels as they all fell off ����— Phillip Schofield (@Schofe) September 22, 2016
GBBO without Mary Berry is like Victoria Sponge without jam...— Sarah (@Sarah_GRP) September 22, 2016
'Farewell to Soggy Bottoms' #GBBO
At the other end of the tent however, Paul Hollywood has today confirmed that he’ll be staying with the Bake Off for the next three series.
In a statement, the Master Baker says: ‘Since I was a kid, baking has been part of my life. The seven series inside the tent have created some great memories. Best of all, I have felt so pleased to experience other people getting the baking bug, just as I did when my dad helped me make my first loaf.’
‘The Great British Bake Off has brought baking to the nation and we’ve seen people from all walks of life and backgrounds, experience the highs and lows of competition, and more importantly helping each other.’
‘It’s been a huge part of my life in the past few years and I just couldn’t turn my back on all that – the bakers themselves, the bakes, the team that makes it, and of course the tent, the bunting, and who could forget… the squirrels.’
‘So I am delighted that I will be continuing as a judge when Bake Off moves to Channel 4. I want to thank the BBC and Mel and Sue for making my time in the tent great fun and really rewarding.’
Well, what a dramatic Bake Off week it’s been!
Love baking? Stock up on everything you need to join in the baking fun at Asda.com.