If you’re fed up of feeling sluggish then why not try cutting out carbs and swapping your regular potatoes for sweet potatoes? Not only will you feel more energised, but you could also shed a pound or two.
Serve them up as a delicious side with everything from homemade burgers to chilli con carne
This bright orange vegetable is a nutritional powerhouse, rich in fibre, packed with vitamin E to help prevent heart disease and potassium for healthy bones and balancing blood pressure.
Sweet potatoes can also take care of your body on the outside too: they’re a high source of vitamin C, which contributes to a glowing complexion and healthy-looking hair.
So now you know just how beneficial this budget-friendly vegetable really is, how can you convince the kids to tuck in too? Simple! Cut three to four sweet potatoes into bite-size wedges and try one of our simple recipe ideas below.
Serve them up as a delicious side with everything from homemade burgers to chilli con carne or create a mini buffet and serve your sweet potato chips alongside guacamole, chopped up raw peppers, grilled halloumi and anything else you can find in the fridge!
1. Sprinkle a tablespoon of cinnamon and a tablespoon of smoked paprika over sweet potato wedges, tuck 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary amongst your chopped up veg, add a pinch of sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
2. Toss a tray of sweet potato wedges in two tablespoons of light soy sauce, sprinkle over a grating of fresh nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle olive oil over your tray of sweet potato wedges, season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle over a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes for a firey flavour that grown-ups will enjoy.
4. Combine a tablespoon of melted coconut oil with garlic, seasoning, dried oregano and thyme, pour over your tray of sweet potato wedges and toss together using your hands.
5. Crush two cloves of garlic and place in a large freezer bag. Add 1 teaspoon of cumin, half a teaspoon of ground coriander and seasoning. Add your sweet potato wedges to the bag, seal and give them a good shake to combine all the flavours.