Wellness guru Madeleine Shaw is known for her nutritious recipes that aid digestion, taste delicious and are packed full of good-for-you ingredients to give you that healthy glow. Now with her second book, Ready, Steady, Glow! Madeleine is sharing her favourite healthy recipes that can be whipped up in under 30 minutes. But healthy doesn't have to mean skipping dessert! These coconut macaroons are chock full of nutritious ingredients but will also satisfy your sweet tooth.
'Coconut macaroons and chocolate are a match made in heaven. These are the perfect on-the-go snack and I love popping a few in my bag for that 4pm 'tea and cake break’ with a twist,' says Madeleine.
400ml can coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp honey
½ tsp ground cinnamon
grated zest of 1 orange
200g desiccated coconut
4 tbsp ground almonds
pinch of salt
For the dipping chocolate
90g cacao butter or coconut oil
60g raw cacao powder
60g honey or maple syrup
pinch of sea salt (or Himalayan)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Open the can of coconut milk and scrape out 3 tablespoons of the cream on the top and place this in a pan on a low heat with the oil, honey, cinnamon and orange zest. Stir this for a minute or so until the oil melts, then take it off the heat and add in the desiccated coconut, ground almonds and a pinch of salt. Keep stirring for a few minutes, then leave it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Grab a tablespoon of the mix, form it into a ball and set it on the baking tray. Repeat until you have 16 balls, then bake them in the oven for 10–12 minutes until golden. Take them out and let them cool and harden on the tray while you make the chocolate sauce.
- Melt the cacao butter or coconut oil in a pan on a low heat and slowly sift in the cacao powder, then stir in the honey and salt until everything is combined.
- Once the balls and chocolate have cooled spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate over each coconut macaroon. Place the balls in the fridge to cool so that the chocolate hardens.
- These will keep for 4 days in the fridge.
Madeleine Shaw's book Ready, Steady, Glow! is published today by Orion Books in hardback & eBook, priced £20/£10.99 and is available to buy at selected Asda stores. Photography: Martin Poole, Ellis Parrinder