This year’s Great British Bake Off winner Candice Brown has put her job as a PE teacher on hold to pursue her baking career.
I have also been completely bowled over by the amazing opportunities that I have been offered
The 31-year-old rising star won the amateur baking competition in October, beating fellow competitors Jane Beedle and Andrew Smyth to the title. Shortly after she was crowned the winner, the baking enthusiast returned to her job at Ashlyns School in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire.
However on Friday, according to the Telegraph, she confirmed she would be pursuing baking opportunities, saying: “This has been such an agonising decision to make.
“Never in a million years did I ever go into the show thinking this would happen. That is why I have been back at school teaching since I won the final.
"I have been teaching for about eight years now and I love it. But since winning the final, I have also been completely bowled over by the amazing opportunities that I have been offered.”
Candice said at first she told the school she would stay until December, but because they were ‘so incredible’ they told her to ‘grab everything whilst she could’.
The GBBO winner, who was awarded Star Baker three times across the series, said: "My headteacher told me: 'You've got to do this, you can't do it half-heartedly. I wouldn't forgive myself if you missed out. It's not that we don't want you here but you have to give it 100%. If we can't encourage our staff to follow their dreams and inspire, then we are not doing our job properly. You are showing the kids that anything is possible."'
Candice, who lives with boyfriend Liam and pug Dennis, told Hello! magazine last month that her students were ‘shocked’ when she returned to work after winning the show, with students assuming she was a millionaire now she had now won the competition.
The future of The Great British Bake Off (as we know it at least) with Mary Berry, Paul Hollywood, Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc at the helm, all changed in September, after Bake Off creators Love Production announced that they would be moving the show to Channel 4, with a reported £75 million three-year deal.
Mel and Sue were quick to denounce the move and Mary Berry confirmed shortly afterwards that she also would be stepping down as a GBBO judge. Though Paul Hollywood will be sticking with the Bake Off, his new co-stars are yet to be announced, leaving fans in flux as to what to expect next from their beloved Wednesday night show.
Despite fans’ concerns for the future of GBBO, however, Channel 4 have assured the nation that they’ll be sticking to the winning format and warm-hearted nature of the family-friendly series, rather than trying to ‘spice things up’.
A planned schedule for the 2017 series has yet to be released, however.