Do you know how easy it is to make jam? We'll let you in on a secret – it's very easy to make jam!
All it takes is two ingredients and less than 30 mins of your time. We've chosen strawberry as our fave flavour, but you can swap it out for the fruit of your choice. So whether you're wanting to spread some love on a fresh loaf of bread or package it up as a cute homemade gift, scroll on to get started…
what you'll need
- 600g strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 400g jam sugar
- 2 jam jars
step by step
- Sterilise the jars. (To sterilise a bottle or jar, preheat the oven to 140C/120C Fan/Gas 1. Wash the container in hot, soapy water, then rinse well. Remove any rubber seals, then put the jar in the oven on its side for 30 minutes.)
- Put the sliced strawberries and jam sugar into a large, heavy-based saucepan with a splash of water.
- Heat on low to soften the strawberries, stirring slowly and regularly to combine with the sugar.
- Once all the sugar has dissolved, turn up the heat and boil for 7-8 mins until the jam reaches its setting point. Take the pan off the heat.
- You can test if the jam is ready by popping 1tsp of it onto a plate and leaving for 5 mins. Then, touch the jam with your finger – it should have a stiff, syrupy consistency and wrinkle up if pushed gently. If it's not quite there, return to the hob, simmer for 2 mins, then test again.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins, then pour into the sterilised jars and seal.
- Allow the jam to cool completely, then pop in the fridge.