Beautiful to look at and simple to make, a trifle is a traditional finale to a festive meal. We’ve highlighted the five key ingredient types you need – just choose one of each for a stress-free show.
Pick one item from each column to add up to your ideal dish!
StepS to success
● Drained tinned or thawed frozen fruit can be used as a substitute for fresh fruit
● For a tasty grown-up trifle, try soaking the sponge in sherry or Cointreau first
● The sponge and jelly layer can be made ahead to allow the jelly to set
● Add the topping and decorations just before serving
● Layer your trifle in a glass bowl for full festive effect!
Start with a trifle essential – lots of fruit in luscious combinations.
Cake or biscuits
Next, choose cake to add soft, sponge texture – or try the crunch of biscuit.
Jelly or mousse
Add classic jelly or a mousse for another layer of texture.
Top things off with the creaminess of custard or a yogurt alternative.
Finish with a flourish of sprinkles or an irresistible chocolate treat.
Fancy building your own festive centrepiece trifle? Stock up on all your ingredients at Asda.com