Combining two of our favourite sweet treats in one, the whole family is sure to adore this delectable dessert hybrid.
Make My Kitchen Drawer's Cherry Bakewell Cinnamon Buns as a weekend treat or Valentine’s surprise and your home will be filled with a scrumptious freshly baked scent all day.
Discover Alix's delicious recipe below.
- 20cm Cake Tin
For the dough:
- 270g strong bread flour
- 2½ tsp fast action yeast
- 40g caster sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 60ml milk
- 85g cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- For the filling
- 85g melted butter
- 50g ground almonds
- 25g soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- For the glaze
- 150g icing sugar
- 4 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 6 Glace Cherries
- Whisk the flour, yeast, sugar and salt together in a bowl.
- Heat the milk until warm, then add the butter and stir it together until it melts.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and pour the wet mixture into it, followed by an egg.
- Bring the mixture together to form a dough, then tip it out onto a floured surface and knead it together for 5-10 minutes until smooth and soft.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave to prove for an hour or until doubled in size. Top tip: During the colder months, an oven with just the light on is the perfect proving environment.
- Whilst the dough is proving, prepare your almond cinnamon filling by mixing ground almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon together and combining it with melted butter to form a paste. If it’s too loose, don’t worry as it will thicken as the butter solidifies.
- When proved, tip it out onto a floured work surface, knead it together into a smooth ball then roll it out to a rectangle around 30x20cm. Spread the almond cinnamon paste across the dough then roll it up from the shortest end into a log.
- Cut into 6 even rolls then lay into a prepared greased cake tin leaving a space between them all to expand. Cover and leave to prove again for 30 minutes and the rolls are all puffed up and have filled the gaps.
- Preheat the oven to 180c and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes and make the icing glaze by mixing the icing sugar, milk and vanilla together.
- Pour the glaze across the top of the buns then top each piece with a glace cherry and serve.
These are best baked and eaten on the same day but will last up to 2 days if kept in an air-tight container.
Feeling inspired to create this sweet treat? Head over to Asda to pick up all your ingredients online.