- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 50g kale, finely chopped
- 80g gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 2cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp hot chilli powder
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Raita, mango chutney and lemon wedges, to serve
Mix all the ingredients for the bhajis together with 80ml water to make a thick batter.
Pour oil into a large saucepan to a depth of 6cm. Heat gently until a small drop of the batter dropped in the oil sizzles and browns in 30 secs.
Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil in batches of 3 or 4. Cook for 3-4 mins until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven until all the mixture has been cooked.
Serve the bhajis hot with raita, mango chutney and lemon wedges.