Kale and onion bhajis
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 spring onions (trimmed and sliced)
- 50g kale (finely chopped)
- 80g gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 2cm piece root ginger (peeled and finely grated)
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp hot chilli powder
- Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- To Serve
- Mango chutney
- Lemon wedges
Mix all the ingredients for the bhajis together with 80ml water to make a thick batter.
Pour oil into a large saucepan to a depth of 6cm. Heat gently until a small drop of the batter dropped in the oil sizzles and browns in 30 secs.
Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil in batches of 3 or 4. Cook for 3-4 mins until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven until all the mixture has been cooked.
Serve the bhajis hot with raita, mango chutney and lemon wedges.