Apple & date charlotte
Be the first to rate this recipe
- 4 Cox apples (or Granny Smith), peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 Large Bramley cooking apple (or 2 small), peeled, cored and sliced
- 50g stoned dates, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp apple juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp no-bits apricot jam
- 25g butter, melted
- 5 slices Asda Bakers Gold Wholemeal Bread, crusts removed
- 1 free-range egg, separated
- Fromage frais, to serve
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Cook the apples, dates, apple juice and cinnamon in a covered pan until the fruits are soft, then cook, uncovered, until the juice has evaporated. Remove from the heat, stir in the jam and set aside.
Grease a pudding basin with some of the butter. Cut the slices of bread in half and use them to line the basin, overlapping the edges very slightly. Brush the joins lightly with egg white.
Stir the yolk into the apple mixture and pout into the tin. Top with more bread, cutting it to fit, and brush with the rest of the butter. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Turn out the pudding and serve immediately with fromage frais.