Asian-style spiced duck breasts
Price: £3.25 per serving
- 2 Extra Special British Duck Breast Portions, skin scored
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 1cm piece ginger, finely sliced
- ½ Grower’s Selection Red Chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- 2tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 250ml orange juice
- Juice 1 lime
- 1tsp fish sauce
- 1tbsp fine-cut marmalade
- 1 heaped tsp cornflour
- 1 medium orange, segmented
- 150g wild and basmati rice, cooked, to serve
- 160g mixed green veg, steamed, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Put the duck skin-side down in a cold nonstick frying pan. Cook over a medium heat for 5 mins until the skin is golden and starting to crisp. Drain off the fat and reserve. Turn the breasts over and cook for 1 min.
Transfer to a roasting tin, skin-side up, and cook in the oven for 10 mins, Leave to rest for 10 mins.
Meanwhile, heat 1tbsp of the duck fat in a small pan over a medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 1-2 mins until soft. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli (if using) and cook for 1 min.
Stir in the Chinese 5 spice followed by the orange and lime juices, fish sauce and marmalade, and bring to the boil.
Mix the cornflour with a little cold water to make a paste. Add to the sauce, bring back to the boil and simmer for 2-3 mins until thickened.
Remove from the heat and add the orange segments. Serve the duck with the orange sauce, rice and veg.