James Martin’s aubergine gratin with tomato sauce
- For the tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Asda extra virgin olive oil
- 400g Asda thick cut chopped tomatoes
- 1 large handful fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the aubergine gratin
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 large aubergine cut into 5mm thick slices, lengthways
- 1 large handful basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 50g Good and Balanced sultanas
- 15g Good and Balanced pine nut kernels
- 1 ball large mozzarella, roughly chopped
To make the tomato sauce, chop the garlic and sauté in a frying pan with the oil, add the tomatoes and basil. Cook over a medium high heat for 5-10 minutes, or until the tomato is just starting to break down. Season, to taste.
To make the aubergine gratin, first preheat the grill to high.
Heat a frying pan until hot. Then add the oil and aubergine slices, a few at a time and fry on each side until just golden and softened.
Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
Scatter the sultanas, pine nuts, basil and the chopped mozzarella over the aubergine. Season to taste.
Roll the aubergine slice up from the short side, to form a pinwheel.
Add half the sauce to an oven proof dish then place the untucked end of the pinwheel face down on top. Spoon over the remaining tomato sauce.
Place under the grill for 2-4 minutes until golden and bubbling.
TOP TIP: Add extra mozzarella before serving to make this more indulgent.
TOP TIP: If there’s time, toast your pine nut kernels for extra flavour.