Bacon & pumpkin soup
- 6 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 15g butter
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 500g pumpkin (weighed without skin, seeds or fibre), cubed
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 150g split red lentils, rinsed
- 1.2 litres hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
Chop 4 rashers of bacon. Heat the oil and butter and cook the onion and bacon until the onion is soft and the bacon is cooked.
Add the pumpkin, potato, lentils, stock and thyme, and season with pepper. Don't add salt yet; you may not need it. Cover with a lid and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
Purée with a hand-held blender in a processor until fairly smooth.
Meanwhile, grill the rest of the bacon until crisp and break into small pieces. Stir the crème fraîche into the soup and reheat, taking care not to boil. Serve sprinkled with bacon.