Banh mi style chicken salad with quick pickles
- 4tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2tsp caster sugar
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- ¼ cucumber, diced
- 4 radishes, finely sliced
- 1 small shallot, finely sliced
- 75g day-old baguette, torn into small pieces
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Juice 1 lime
- 1tbsp fish sauce
- ½ small birds eye chilli, finely sliced
- 3 Little Gem lettuces, leaves roughly torn
- 25g coriander, torn
- 2tbsp mint leaves
- 500g leftover cooked chicken, shredded
- Lime halves, to serve
Preheat the oven to 190C/ 170C Fan/Gas 5.
To make the pickles, combine the vinegar and sugar in a non-metallic bowl and add the carrot, cucumber, radishes and shallot. Toss and set aside for at least 10 mins.
Put the baguette pieces in a bowl, add the oil and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a baking tray and bake for 5-7 mins until golden and crisp.
To make the dressing, whisk the chilli sauce, lime juice, fish sauce and chilli with 1tbsp water. Set aside.
Toss the lettuce, herbs and baguette croutons with the dressing in a bowl. Divide between 4 plates, and top with the chicken and pickles. Serve with lime halves on the side.