Family-friendly beef bourguignon
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 900g Butcher’s Selection British
- 155g pack smoked bacon lardons
- 150g button mushrooms
- 10 shallots or 2 small onions, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 1tbsp thyme leaves, plus a sprig to serve
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 3
- 500ml Asda Red Grape Juice
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1tbsp cornflour mixed with 2tbsp water
- Mashed potatoes and green veg, to serve
Preheat the oven to 150C/ 130C Fan/Gas 2. Heat the oil in a large flameproof, ovenproof pan. Fry the beef until brown – in batches if necessary. Reserve.
In the same pan, fry the lardons, mushrooms and shallots for 5 mins. Add the garlic and tomato purée and fry for 1 min, stirring.
Return the beef to the pan. Add the thyme, bay leaf, carrot, grape juice and vinegar. Bring to the boil, cover and cook in the oven for 2 hrs.
Remove the carrot. Using a handheld blender, purée it with a little cooking liquid, then return to the pan.
Put the pan on the hob and stir in the cornflour. Bring to the boil, stirring, until thickened. Top with a thyme sprig and serve with mash and green veg.