Beef & mushroom spider pie
- 475g pack Butcher’s Selection Diced Beef
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 1tbsp Extra Special Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil
- 200g Grower’s Selection Baby Chestnut Mushrooms
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 reduced-salt beef stock cube
- 375g Asda Ready Rolled Shortcrust Pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2tsp poppy seeds
Preheat the oven to 150C/ 130C Fan/Gas 2. Toss the beef in the flour to coat evenly. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and fry the beef until evenly browned. Set aside.
Add the mushrooms, carrots, celery and shallots, and brown all over (work in batches if you need to). Add the beef and the garlic, and fry for 2 mins.
Dissolve the stock cube in 500ml boiling water and gradually stir into the pan. Transfer to a casserole dish and bake, covered, for 3 hrs until the meat is tender. Allow to cool completely.
Meanwhile, cut 2 circles of pastry, 20cm and 15cm. Cut 2 eyes, the size of a 2p coin, from the 15cm circle, roll into 2 thin pieces and use the egg to stick them to the head. Cut the rest
of pastry into 8 strips and crimp with a fork.
Increase the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5. Put the filling in a round pie dish, with a mound in the middle. Arrange 4 pastry strips on top, for spider legs, lay the larger circle on top and add the head. Brush with the egg and sprinkle over the poppy seeds. Bake for 30 mins until golden and bubbling.