- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, halved and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 700g pack Butcher's Selection Diced Casserole Beef
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- ½ level tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 strip orange zest, without the white pith
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 250ml red wine
- 250ml beef stock, made with 1 cube
- 2 level tbsp cornflour
- Green beans and baby potatoes with herbs and butter to serve
Heat the oil in a pan, then cook the onions until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
Transfer to slow cooker with all the ingredients except the cornflour. Slow cook 7-8 hours (3 hours 30 minutes in the oven).
Transfer the meat to a serving dish, using a slotted spoon. Discard the bay leaf, cloves, thyme and orange zest.
Pour the liquid into a pan and add the cornflour mixture. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute, stirring all the time. Pour over the meat and serve with beans and potatoes.
Please drink responsibly. For the facts, visit drinkaware.co.uk.