Beetroot and butternut bake with walnut crumble
- 1.2kg butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1cm chunks
- 500g bunch beetroot, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube, made up to 300ml
- 50g unsalted butter, cubed
- 75g plain flour
- 150g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 50g pomegranate seeds
- Thyme leaves, to serve (optional)
Put the squash, beetroot, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves and oil in a stockpot over a medium heat. Season with black pepper. Stir, cover and cook for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
Add the stock, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 mins until the veg is just tender.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/ Gas 7. Mix the butter, flour and walnuts roughly together for the crumble topping, and set aside.
Tip the cooked veg into a roasting tin and scatter over the topping. Bake for 15-20 mins until the crumble is golden brown and crisp. Serve hot, topped with the pomegranate seeds and thyme, if using.