Beetroot onion bake
- 40g butter
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g raw beetroot, peeled and sliced
- 500g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped dill, plus extra for garnish
- 300ml hot vegetable stock
Pre-heat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5. Grease an ovenproof dish with some of the butter.
Cook the onion in the oil and 15g of the butter until soft and translucent.
Layer the beetroot, potato and onion in the dish, scattering the dill between each layer. Heat the stock and pour over the bake to come just below the top layer. Dot the remaining butter over the top.
Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Take off the foil and cook for another 20-30 minutes until the veg is tender when pierced (the exact cooking time depends on the size of the beetroot. Spoon off any excess liquid before serving.