Beetroot röstis with smoked salmon & cucumber pickle
- 6cm piece cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 4tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 1 sprig dill, fronds finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 4tbsp reduced-fat crème fraîche
- Juice 1 lemon and zest ½ lemon, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1tsp horseradish sauce
- 500g King Edward potatoes, peeled
- 2 medium-sized beetroot, cooked and grated
- 20g plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4tsp rapeseed oil
- 200g Asda Smoked Salmon
For the pickle, put the cucumber, shallot, vinegar, sugar and chopped dill in a nonmetallic bowl and toss together. Set aside for 25 mins.
Mix the crème fraîche with the lemon juice and zest and the horseradish sauce. Set aside.
For the röstis, grate the potatoes on to a clean tea towel and squeeze out any excess moisture. Tip into a bowl, add the grated beetroot, flour and egg, then stir together until combined.
Heat the oil in a large, nonstick pan over a medium setting. Spoon in the mixture to make 4 röstis, flattening them with a spatula to make disc shapes – depending on the size of your pan, you may have to cook them in batches. Reduce the heat slightly and fry for 10-12 mins on each side until lightly browned and crisp.
To serve, top each rösti with some of the crème fraîche mixture, salmon and cucumber pickle. Garnish with sprigs of dill, season well with black pepper, and serve with the lemon wedges to squeeze over.