Be the first to rate this recipe
- 250g raw beetroot, peeled and grated
- 150g red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 25g butter
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 150ml sour cream, to serve
Put the beetroot, cabbage, potato, stock, vinegar and tomato purée in a pan. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 40 minutes.
In another pan, melt the butter, add the carrot, onion and sugar and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
Add the onion mixture to the beetroot, then cover and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat, let the soup cool slightly, then purée in a blender. Reheat to serve, pour into bowls and finish with a swirl of sour cream.