- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2cm piece root ginger
- 1 level tsp ground allspice
- 1 level tsp ground coriander
- 1 level tsp hot chilli powder
- 600g sweet potatoes (weighed with peel), peeled
- 500ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 level tsp sugar
- 175g green beans, halved
- 1 large red pepper, de-seeded and sliced or cubed
- 300g can black eye beans, drained and rinsed
- 50g sachet Patak’s Creamed coconut, chopped or grated
- Rice, to serve
Cook the onion in the oil in a large pan until soft. Peel and chop the ginger, add to the pan and cook for another minute.
Add the allspice, coriander and chilli powder, and stir over a low heat for 1 minute. Cut the sweet potato into 2cm cubes, then add to the pan along with the stock, thyme, tomato purée and sugar. Season, then heat until simmering, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the green beans, red pepper, black eye beans and coconut, and stir until the coconut has dissolved. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
Serve with rice.