Warming carrot & tomato soup
- Ready in: 40 mins
- Serves: 4
- Price: £0.34 per serving
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 450g carrots, finely sliced
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and diced
- 250ml passata
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 level tsp sugar
- 100g reduced-fat crème fraîche
- Chopped parsley and croutons (optional), to serve
In a large pan, cook the onion in the oil over a low heat for 5 mins, until it starts to soften. Add the carrots and potato and stir to coat them in the oil.
Add the passata, stock cube, bay leaf, sugar and 700ml water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 mins or until the veg is tender.
Discard the bay leaf and purée the soup with a handheld blender. Season to taste, then serve the soup in bowls with a swirl of crème fraîche, topped with parsley and croutons, if using.