Catalan-style slow cooker chicken
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.35kg Butcher's Selection Medium Chicken
- 2 medium red onions, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 6 medium vine-on tomatoes, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 150ml fino sherry (or dry white wine)
- 200ml chicken stock
- Pinch of saffron, steeped in 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 20g flaked almonds, toasted and chopped
Mix together the paprika and 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Massage over the chicken and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and fry for 2 minutes. Add the peppers and garlic, and fry for a further 2 minutes until slightly soft. Set aside.
Place the chicken in a large slow cooker. Combine the pepper mixture with the tomatoes and bay leaf and arrange around the chicken.
Pour over the sherry, stock and saffron with its water. Make sure the meat is covered - add more stock if needed - but don't fill the pot more than three-quarters full.
Cook on high for 1 hour, then turn to the lowest setting and cook for at least 5 hours more, or until the meat juices run clear. Sprinkle with the parsley and almonds and serve.
Please drink responsibly. For the facts, visit drinkaware.co.uk.