Cheat’s chicken & mushroom pie
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 250g chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 1 leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 613g chicken breast fillets (without skin) cut in 2cm pieces
- 300ml chicken stock, made with 1/2 stock cube
- 1 level tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 375g Asda Ready Rolled Shortcrust Pastry Flour, for rolling out
- 1 medium free range egg, beaten
- 2 level tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp reduced fat crème fraîche
- Broccoli, to serve
- Boiled potatoes to serve
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Cook the mushrooms and leek for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a saucepan.
Add the chicken to the frying pan and cook until it changes colour on all sides. Add to the saucepan with the stock and herbs. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for another 7-10 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking, unroll the pastry and give it an extra roll. Cut out pieces of pastry to fit the tops of the four individual baking dishes then place on a baking tray and brush with egg. Bake for 15 minutes until golden.
When the chicken is cooked, mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp cold water, stir into the pan and bring back to simmer. Stir in the crème fraîche and simmer for 1 minute.
Divide the filling between the baking dishes and top each with a piece of pastry. Or simply put the filling onto plates, topped with pastry. Serve with broccoli and potatoes.