Cheat’s meat-free cassoulet
- 300g pack frozen Linda McCartney Vegetarian Sausages
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 125g carrots, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed and sliced
- 4 level tbsp tomato purée
- 2 level tbsp plain flour
- 350ml vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube
- 2 level tsp mixed dried herbs
- 2 x 300g cans haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 75g breadcrumbs
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary, to garnish (optional)
Pre-heat the grill and cook the sausages, from frozen, for 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally. Cut in half and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the leek, garlic, carrots and celery. Stir well, to coat. Cover the pan and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the tomato purée and cook for another minute. Sprinkle over the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Gradually add the stock, stirring all the time, until you have a smooth sauce. Bring to a simmer, then add the herbs, sausages and beans. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, put the breadcrumbs in a large frying pan and cook until golden, stirring all the time.
Transfer the cassoulet to a serving dish. Sprinkle on the toasted crumbs, black pepper and rosemary, if using. Serve immediately.