Cheese & spinach bread bake
- 10g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 leeks, white and pale green part only, trimmed
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 160g bag washed baby leaf spinach
- 200g unsliced bread or bread rolls, 1-2 days old
- 150g Asda Smart Price Mature Cheddar, grated
- 3 large eggs
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 350ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 level tsp English mustard
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease an ovenproof dish with butter.
Cut leeks in half lengthways, rinse under cold water, slice finely and pat dry.
Melt the butter and oil in a pan and add the leeks. Stir to coat, then cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Set aside.
Cut the bread into 2cm cubes. Put in the base of the dish, reserving some for the top. Sprinkle over half the cheese.
Layer the leeks and spinach on top of the bread and scatter over the remaining Cheddar.
Lightly beat the eggs with the cayenne, milk and mustard and pour over the cheese. Scatter on the remaining bread. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Uncover and arrange the cherry tomatoes on top. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes until the top is golden and the inside is just set.