Cheese & vegetable pies
Be the first to rate this recipe
- 150g butter, cut into small cubes, plus extra for greasing
- 300g plain flour plus extra for rolling out
- A pinch each of dry mustard powder, cayenne and salt
- 50g extra mature Cheddar finely grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp mild olive oil
- 1 small leek (white and pale green part) finely chopped
- 160g bag Fresh Tastes Baby Spinach
- 150g frozen petit pois
- 200g pot Asda Lighter Plain Soft Cheese
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 medium egg, beaten
Pre-heat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5. Grease the holes of a four-hole Yorkshire pudding tin with a little butter. Sift the flour, mustard powder, cayenne and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese and egg, then mix to a firm dough. You may need to add a couple of teaspoons of cold water.
Make the dough into a flat slab, then wrap it in cling film and chill for 20-30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the leek over a medium heat until soft. Add the spinach, stirring until it wilts.
Tip into a large bowl and stir in the frozen petit pois. Stir in the soft cheese, parsley and sage, then season well.
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut out 4 x 12cm diameter rounds and use to line the pudding-tin holes. Cut out 4 x 10cm diameter rounds for lids and cut a star out of the centre of each one.
Divide the filling between the tins and dampen the edges of the pastry with a little water. put the lids on top and pinch to seal the edges.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.