Chicken and rice soup
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, halved (chop 1 half, thinly slice the other)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 50g easy cook long grain white rice, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme, plus extra to serve
- 1 reduced-salt chicken stock cube, made up to 800ml
- 125g cooked chicken, shredded
Heat 2tsp of the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 mins, until beginning to turn translucent. Add the chopped leek, celery and carrot and season with black pepper. Cook for 5-6 mins until starting to colour.
Stir in the rice, bay leaf, thyme and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 mins, uncovered, stirring often. Add the chicken and cover. Cook for 10 mins.
Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil. Pat the sliced leek dry with kitchen roll and fry for 2-3 mins, until it starts to brown. Drain on kitchen roll.
Remove the bay leaf and thyme from the soup. Serve sprinkled with black pepper and the crispy leeks.