Chicken, bacon & pearl barley vegetable soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, trimmed and diced
- 800ml vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 100g pearl barley
- 250g cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 tbsp thyme, leaves only, chopped
- 4 back rashers smoked bacon, chopped
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft.
Add the leek, carrots, vegetable stock, Dijon mustard and pearl barley. Bring to the boil and then simmer, covered, for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken and thyme, and heat through.
Dry-fry the bacon in a non-stick frying pan until crispy. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen towel. Sprinkle over the soup with black pepper to serve.