Chicken & bean hotpot
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 25g butter
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed, halved lengthways and sliced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml hot chicken stock
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 605g pack chicken boneless thigh fillets, each cut in three
- 400g can butter beans, drained
- 350g medium-sized potatoes (peeled weight)
Cook the bacon in a pan until crisp, then set aside. Add half the butter and the leeks to the pan and cook over a low heat until soft. Stir in the flour.
Gradually add 400ml stock, stirring, and bring to a simmer. Add the herbs and season.
Put the chicken, bacon, butter beans, stock and leeks in a casserole dish and mix.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Slice the potatoes to the thickness of a £1 coin, then overlap them in circles on top. If necessary add more stock to reach the bottom of the potatoes. Dot the top of the hotpot with the rest of the butter and cover loosely with foil. Cook in the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, then remove the foil and return to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes.