Chicken & ham chowder
- 1 leek, trimmed of roots and tough green leaves
- 15g butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 level tsp dried thyme
- 1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in 200ml hot water
- 400ml semi-skimmed milk
- 200g frozen sweetcorn
- 200g cooked chicken, without skin, cut into small pieces
- 1 level tbsp cornflour, mixed with a splash of water
- 75g cooked ham, trimmed of fat, cut into small pieces
- Crusty bread, to serve
Cut the leek in half lengthways and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with kitchen roll, then slice. Put in a large pan with the butter and oil and heat until the butter has melted. Stir once, then cover the pan and cook on a very low heat for 5 minutes, until the leek has softened.
Add the potato, thyme and stock and heat until boiling. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked.
Add the milk, sweetcorn and chicken. Heat until simmering, then leave, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the cornflour mixture. Simmer for another 2 minutes. Add the ham and heat through. Serve with bread.