Chilli con carne with chorizo
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 700g Asda Butcher’s Selection Lean Beef Mince
- 3-4 level tsp Asda Chilli Powder (hot or mild)
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube, dissolved in 300ml hot water
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- Half of a 225g Asda Extra Special Chorizo (sausage)
- 2 tbsp Asda Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded and cut into small pieces
- 2 x 400g cans Asda Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 level tbsp cornflour and crusty bread, to serve
In a large saucepan, fry the onion in the oil over a medium heat until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the mince and cook until it browns, stirring to break up any clumps.
Stir in the chilli powder and cumin, then add the tomatoes, stock and tomato purée. Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring often
Meanwhile, peel the skin off the outside of the chorizo and discard, then cut it into small cubes. Cook in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes until the fat starts to run out.
Add the chorizo and fat in the pan to the mince, then add the sweet chilli sauce, pepper and kidney beans. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
Mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp cold water, stir in and cook until simmering again.