Coconut, aubergine & lentil curry
- 200g dried puy lentils or green lentils
- 600ml vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 glove garlic (crushed)
- 2cm piece fresh root ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 level tsp crushed dried chillies
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- 1 level tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ level tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 level tsp ground coriander
- 400ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 aubergines (cut into cubes)
- 200g frozen peas
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- To Serve
- Basmati rice (prepared as packet instructions)
- Raita yogurt dip
- Fresh coriander sprigs
Put the lentils in a pan with the stock and heat until simmering. Partially cover the pan and simmer until the lentils are just tender, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and transparent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in the dried chillies, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, coriander and 2 tbsp cold water, and stir over a low heat for 1-2 minutes.
Add the lentils and their cooking water, coconut milk and the aubergine. Heat until simmering, then cover and simmer very gently for 10-15 minutes until the aubergine is tender.
Add the peas, return to the boil, cover and simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Stir in fresh coriander and serve with rice and raita. Garnish with sprigs of coriander.