Coffee, date & pecan tray bake
- 225g Asda Stoned Dried Dates, chopped
- ½ tsp Asda Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp boiling water and cooled
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 225g Asda Self-Raising Flour, sifted
- 100g Asda Pecan Nuts, to decorate
- For the icing and decoration
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp boiling water
- 50g Asda Pecan Nuts, to decorate
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Put the dates in a bowl and pour over 225ml boiling water.
Stir in the vanilla extract, dissolved coffee and bicarbonate of soda and set aside for 15 minutes. Grease a small roasting tin, about 28cm by 20cm, and line with baking paper.
Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy – this is easiest with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition and adding 1 tbsp flour with each one.
Fold in the rest of the flour, the nuts and the dates, along with the liquid they've soaked in. Turn into the prepared cake tin and level the top. Cook for 40-50 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
Cool on a wire rack. Meanwhile, mix the icing sugar with enough of the dissolved coffee to make a coating icing, adding the coffee gradually to get just the right consistency. Drizzle on top of the cake using a spoon. Decorate with the pecans.