Courgette and apricot chutney
- 300g courgettes (weighed topped and tailed)
- 250g ready-to-eat dried apricots
- 250g cooking apples, cored (peeled weight)
- 225g red onions (peeled weight)
- 1 level tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄2 level tsp ground allspice
- 1⁄2 level tsp salt
- 300ml bottle distilled white malt vinegar
- 250g granulated sugar
Cut the courgettes, apricots and apples into 1⁄2cm pieces. Chop the onions.
Put all the ingredients in a very large saucepan or preserving pan and cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Boil gently for 35-45 minutes, stirring often until it is the consistency of chutney. When it’s ready, a wooden spoon dragged across the base of the pan will leave a clear path that takes a few seconds to cover over.
About 20 minutes before the chutney is ready, wash some jars and lids in hot soapy water, then rinse well. Put in the oven for 15 minutes at 140C/120C Fan/Gas 1 to sterilise.
Fill the jars with the chutney and put on the lids. Keep in a cupboard for at least 6 weeks before using.