Cranberry and pomegranate roast gammon
Be the first to rate this recipe
- 1.4kg Butcher’s Selection Unsmoked Gammon Joint
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 celery stalks
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 star anise
- 2 dried bay leaves, plus extra (or fresh bay leaves) to garnish
- 500ml Asda Pomegranate Juice Drink
- 500ml Asda Cranberry Juice Drink
- 300ml red wine (optional)
- 4tbsp cranberry sauce
- ¼tsp ground five spice
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 2tbsp cloves
- 1 pomegranate, seeds separated
- Braised baby leeks, to serve
- 50g Asda Dijon Mustard, to serve
Put the gammon joint, onion, celery, peppercorns, star anise and bay leaves in a large pan. Cover with the pomegranate and cranberry juice drinks, plus the red wine, if using. Top up with cold water until the meat is fully covered.
Put the lid on the pan and place on a medium setting. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat then simmer for 2hrs.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Drain the gammon and place on a baking tray. Cut off the rind, leaving a layer of fat 5mm thick. Score lines across the width of the fat, about 1cm apart.
Mix the cranberry sauce with the five spice and rub over the gammon. Arrange the orange slices on top, securing them in place with the cloves.
Roast for 20 mins or until the fat turns golden and the glaze is bubbling. Set aside to rest for 20 mins.
Garnish the gammon with the extra bay leaves and the pomegranate seeds. Serve with the braised leeks and the mustard on the side.