Creamy tomato baked aubergine
- Rapeseed oil, for frying
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 large aubergines, thickly sliced
- 1 fat courgette, thickly sliced
- 1 x 500g jar ASDA Creamy Tomato Pasta Bake
- 125g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 25g grated Parmesan or vegetarian hard cheese
Preheat the oven to 200C, fan 180C, gas 6.
Heat a little oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and 1 thyme sprig and cook for 6-7 minutes, until slightly softened. Remove to a plate and return the frying pan to the heat.
Fry the aubergine and courgette slices, in batches, for a couple of minutes a side, until light golden brown, adding a little more oil as needed.
Remove each batch to kitchen paper to drain as it’s done. Use two frying pans to speed up the process, if you have them.
Pour the sauce into a medium baking dish and spoon over the onions, discarding the whole thyme sprig.
Arrange the aubergine, courgette and cherry tomatoes in the dish, then scatter with the leaves from the remaining thyme. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until piping hot in the middle.