Dean Edward’s Creole chicken and shrimp gumbo
Cook: 20 Mins
plus 6 hrs 30 mins cooking
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g plain flour
- 100g chorizo, diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 500g passata
- 200ml chicken stock
- 100ml white wine (or 100ml extra stock)
- 4 chicken thighs, skin and bones removed
- 200g raw peeled prawns
- TO SERVE
- 3tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 200g long-grain white rice, cooked according to the pack instructions
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 60ml soured cream, sprinkled with smoked paprika
- 5 spring onions, shredded
Put the butter and the flour in a heavy-based pan over a low to medium heat and mix to make a roux paste. Cook for 10-15 mins, stirring frequently, until it turns a nutty brown colour.
Transfer the roux to the slow cooker. Add all the remaining ingredients for the gumbo, except the prawns, and stir well. Cover with the lid, then leave to cook on the low setting for 6 hrs.
Stir in the prawns and cook with the lid slightly ajar for another 30 mins. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Scatter the parsley over the gumbo. Serve with the rice, sourdough bread, soured cream and spring onions on the side.