Creole-style rice & beans
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 level tsp Asda Chilli Powder (mild or hot)
- 275g brown long-grain rice
- 1 level tsp dried thyme
- 75g creamed coconut, grated
- 227g can Asda Pineapple Chunks in Juice
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Dash of Tabasco, or to taste
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat until soft. Add the garlic, celery and peppers. Stir until everything is coated in oil. Cover and cook over a low heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
Add the chilli powder and stir over a low heat for 30 seconds.
Stir in the rice, thyme and creamed coconut. Drain the pineapple and make the juice up to 900ml with water. Add to the rice and heat until simmering. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
Cut the pineapple into small pieces. Stir into the rice with the kidney beans, return to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Add Tabasco to taste – or let everyone add their own.