Decorative shortbread stars
Be the first to rate this recipe
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 25g caster sugar
- 75g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 120g pack Asda Great To Bake White Piping Icing (or leftover royal icing from the cake)
- Cake Décor Gold Glitter Spray
- You will also need George Home 5 Star Shape Cookie Cutters
Preheat the oven to 160C/140C/Gas 3. Line 2 baking trays with paper.
Beat the butter, vanilla and caster sugar together until smooth. Stir in the flour and cornflour until the mixture forms a dough.
Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 15mins
On floured surface, roll out the dough to 1.5cm thick. Cut into star shapes using the 3 smallest cutters, then re-roll the excess and cut more stars. Repeat until all the dough is used up.
Arrange on the baking trays and bake for 10-12mins, until golden at the edges. Allow to cool completely.
Use the piping icing to create snowflake designs on some of the stars, then allow to set completely. Dust the remaining biscuits with the gold glitter spray.
Use the finished biscuits to decorate the iced Christmas cake, sticking in place with extra dabs of royal icing as necessary.