Sweet and sour chicken for the perfect friday night in
Price: £1.02 per serving
- 200g easy cook long grain white rice, rinsed
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 350g Cook from Frozen Diced Chicken Breast
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 227g tin pineapple chunks, drained
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 440g jar Sweet & Sour Sauce (see method for homemade)
Half fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the rice and cook for 15-18 mins, until tender. Drain in a sieve and keep warm.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the chicken pieces for 10 mins until golden all over. Stir in the peppers, pineapple and most of the spring onion, leaving some of the chopped green tops to serve. Cook for another 5-10 mins until the veg is tender and the chicken is cooked through.
Make your homemade sauce. To make the sweet and sour sauce, mix 4 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, 2 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp honey, 75ml orange juice and 4 level tsp of cornflour until smooth. Add 50ml and simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Divide the rice between four plates and spoon over the chicken and sauce. Sprinkle over the reserved spring onion to serve.