Euan’s chilli con carne
- 1tsp rapeseed oil
- 65g simple cook diced Spanish chorizo
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 green and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 500g pack Extra Special British Aberdeen Angus Lean Beef Mince
- ¼tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp mild chilli powder
- 400g tin Asda red kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 400g tin Asda chopped tomatoes with herbs in tomato juice
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 1 reduced-salt beef stock cube
- FOR THE GUAC
- 1 ripe medium avocado, halved and destoned
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 red chilli, sliced (optional)
- TO SERVE
- 6 baked potatoes
- 100ml reduced-fat soured cream (optional)
- A few fresh chives, chopped (optional)
Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the chorizo and red onion for 3-5 mins over a medium heat until the oil from the chorizo has been released and the onion is softened.
Add the peppers and the mince and cook for a further 3 mins until the mince browns, stirring all the time to break up any clumps of meat.
Add the smoked paprika and the chilli powder, then cook for 2 mins or until the spices release their aroma.
Add the kidney beans, chopped tomatoes and tomato purée. Crumble in the stock cube, then add 300ml water. Season with black pepper. Stir well, bring to a simmer and cook for 30 mins.
For the guac, scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork. Stir through the lemon juice, some black pepper and the red chilli, if using.
Serve the chilli con carne on freshly baked potatoes with a dollop each of guac and soured cream on the side. Finish with a sprinkling of chives.