Fruit & mascarpone sandwich cake
- 225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 225g Asda Self-Raising Flour, sifted
- For the creamy filling and topping
- 250g Asda Mascarpone
- 4 tbsp single cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- Few drops Asda Vanilla Extract
- 4 tbsp Asda Extra Special Raspberry Preserve
- 150g mixed soft fruits (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries)
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Butter two 20cm sandwich cake tins and line the bases with baking paper.
Beat the butter and caster sugar in a bowl until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and adding 1 tbsp flour with the last two. Fold in the rest of the flour.
Spoon into the tins and level the tops. Bake for 25 minutes or until risen and the top springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack, remove the lining paper and leave till cold.
Beat the mascarpone with the cream, icing sugar and vanilla. Spread two-thirds of this filling on to one of the cakes, then add the preserve and some of the fruits. Place the other cake on top.