Ginger and rum-glazed ham with jewelled roast carrots
Be the first to rate this recipe
- FOR THE HAM
- 2.7kg joint Butcher’s Selection Unsmoked Gammon
- 2 x 1.5L bottles Old Jamaica Ginger Beer
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 6 balls stem ginger, finely chopped, plus 3tbsp syrup from the jar
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 3tbsp Seville orange marmalade
- 1tbsp English mustard
- 2tbsp golden rum
- FOR THE CARROTS
- 2 x 300g packs Grower’s Selection British Chantenay Carrots
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2tbsp thyme leaves
- 2tbsp stem ginger syrup from the jar
- 1tbsp tahini
- 80g pomegranate seeds
- ½ x 25g pack flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Put all the ingredients for the ham in a very large pan. Simmer for 2 hrs, topping up water as needed to keep the gammon covered.
Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
Put all the ingredients for the glaze in a pan. Heat for 5 mins on a medium setting.
Boil the carrots for 8 mins; drain. Toss in the oil, thyme and ginger syrup. Roast for 20-25 mins until golden.
Remove the onions and ham from the pan; put on a foil-lined baking tray. Cut off the skin, score a diamond pattern in the fat, brush with glaze; garnish with an extra bay leaf (optional). Roast for 25 mins; baste occasionally. Rest for 10 mins.
Toss the carrots with the tahini. Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and parsley. Serve with the ham.