Ginger cake with orange icing
- 250g Chosen by you Free from Gluten Self-Raising Flour Blend
- 1 tsp Dr Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 125g Asda British Salted Butter, cubed
- 150g Billington's Natural Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 75g drained Opies Stem Ginger in Syrup, finely grated
- 250ml Asda Fresh Whole Milk
- 100g Lyle's Black Treacle
- 125g Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 1 large egg
- 150g Whitworths Icing Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Extra Special Valencian Orange Extract
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 piece Opies Stem Ginger in Syrup
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, butter, dark sugar and spices into a bowl. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs, then mix in the grated stem ginger.
Put the milk, black treacle and golden syrup in a pan. Heat until almost simmering. Pour over the flour mixture, add the egg and beat until smooth.
Put in the tin and bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the orange extract and zest. Add a little cold water to make a smooth icing. Drizzle over the cake and top with the chopped stem ginger.