Ginger & pear upside down cake
- 150g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 150g light soft brown sugar
- 2 balls from a jar of stem ginger in syrup, chopped
- 415g can pears in juice, drained
- 125g Asda Self-raising Flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 2 level tsp ground ginger
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large free-range eggs
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Lightly butter a 20cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper. Mix 25g butter with 25g sugar and spread in the base of the tin. Scatter on one quarter of the chopped stem ginger and arrange the pears, flat side down, on top.
Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl. Add the rest of the butter, sugar and chopped stem ginger. Add the eggs and beat until well mixed.
Turn into the cake tin, keeping the pears in place, and level the top.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly pressed. Leave to cool for 10 minutes and then turn out and serve upside down. Serve warm or leave until completely cool to slice.