Gluten-free banana and pecan cake
- 150g pecan nuts
- 350g Asda free from plain flour (gluten-free)
- 2 level tsp xantham gum
- 2½ level tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 225g vitalite dairy free spread
- 225g caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas (300g peeled weight)
- 85g Asda dark chocolate, chopped, or to make this dairy free as well as gluten free, use an 85g bar Kinnerton Dairy Free Luxury Dark chocolate
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line a 33 x 23cm shallow tin with baking paper. Put half the nuts on a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes until lightly toasted. Chop roughly.
Sift the flour, xantham gum and baking powder together in a bowl.
In a different bowl, beat the spread and sugar until creamy. Beat in the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, adding 1 tbsp of the flour mixture with each egg.
Mash the bananas with a fork, then fold into the mixture with the rest of the flour, chopped nuts and dark chocolate.
Put into the cake tin, level the top, scatter with the remaining nuts and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the middle of the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
Cool on a wire rack.