Ham, egg and chunky chips with pineapple relish
- 750g Butcher’s Selection Smoked Gammon Joint
- 750ml ginger beer
- 200g fresh pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 2tbsp chopped parsley
- 1tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 1tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2tbsp black treacle
- 1tsp ground allspice
- 2tbsp Asda Ginger Preserve
- 2tbsp English mustard
- 500g Extra Special Chunky Marris Piper Chips
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 Extra Special Free Range Blue Araucana Eggs
- Sliced spring onions, to serve
Put the gammon joint in a large pan. Pour over the ginger beer and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 mins. If the gammon is not completely covered by the liquid, turn the joint over halfway through cooking.
Meanwhile, for the relish, mix together the pineapple, red onion, chilli, parsley, sugar and vinegar. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
To make the glaze, mix together the black treacle, allspice, ginger preserve and mustard.
Transfer the gammon to a ovenproof dish, leave to cool for a few minutes then brush over the glaze. Arrange the chips on a baking tray. Bake the gammon and chips for 25 mins, occasionally brushing the gammon with glaze and turning the chips once.
Before serving, heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan and fry the eggs for 4 mins or to your liking.
Carve 8 thick slices of gammon and divide between 4 plates. Serve with the fried eggs, chips and pineapple relish, topped with the spring onions.