Ham & pea soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 200g potatoes (peeled weight), cubed
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 500ml ham stock (or chicken stock)
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 300g frozen peas
- 200g cooked ham, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint (or 2 tsp dried mint)
- Crusty bread, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and the garlic over a low heat until softened. Stir in the celery, potatoes and carrot, then cook for another 3 minutes.
Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and continue simmering for another 15 minutes.
Stir in the milk and the frozen peas, then simmer gently for 4 minutes.
Blitz in a blender until smooth. Add the ham and heat until warmed through.
Season with black pepper and stir in the mint. Ladle into soup bowls and serve with some crusty bread.